These are photographs taken of the newspaper clippings found in Laurena Alice Kent nee Prest’s scrapbooks. There are many wedding, birth, engagement announcements as well as articles of interest ( girls choir, little league baseball, World War 2 etc) involving families of Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore and more. Localities include Halifax, Jeddore, Mooseland, Musquodoboit, Tatamagouche, Stewiacke, Beaver Bay, Tangier etc. Other places mentioned include Oak Bay, Manitoba, Boston, Massachusetts, Hollywood, California and more.
If you are planning a vintage wedding you will find that the marriage descriptions detailed here are invaluable resources of inspiration for your retro wedding decor, wedding dress and honeymoon outfit.
I will be adding more entries when I can so please bookmark this page and check back weekly for updates. Thank you. 🙂
Click on the pictures to see them larger.
Morash – Graham
Mr. and Mrs. John Michael Morash are shown above, their marriage having been solemnized recently in St. Stephen’s Chapel. The bride is the former Mariel Graham, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Graham and the groom is the only son of Mrs. William Morash, and the late William S. Morash, all of Halifax.
Hilchie – Hubley
Mr. and Mrs. Glyn Charles Hilchie are shown above following their recent marriage in Halifax. Mrs. Hilchie is the former Shirley Gertrude Hubley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Hubley, Halifax. The groom is of Halifax. They will make their home in the City.
Hubley – Hilchey
To wed June 14 — The engagement has been announced of Miss Shirley Gertrude Hubley, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fulton E. Hubley, Halifax to Glyn Charles Kent Hilchey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley B. Hilchie, also of this city. The wedding will take place Saturday, June 14 at 3 p.m. at St. Matthias’ Church.
Kent – Farnell
Marriage to be solemnized August 28
The engagement has been announced of Marion Katherine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Austin Farnell, Upper Musquodoboit, to Everett Haig Kent, son of Mrs. Phebe Kent and the late Archibald M. Kent, Pleasant Point. The marriage will take place in St. James United Church, Upper Musquodoboit on August 28.
October 2 1948
Beaver – Day
The Sacred Heart Church at Lakeside, Halifax County, was the setting for a pretty Fall wedding Saturday morning, October 2nd when Miss Lillian Lenora Day, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Day, of Lakeside, became the bride of Bertram Lee Beaver, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Beaver of Halifax. Rev. Father J. Meehan officiated at the ceremony.
Given in marriage by her father, the bride was charming in her wedding gown of white satin, featuring a tiered flounced skirt with alternating bands of lace and fitted bodice fastened to the waist with tiny covered buttons and long sleeves which fell to a point at the wrists. Her long veil fell from a headdress of braided velvet and tiny seed pearls. She carried a bridal bouquet of red roses.
Miss June Montford, niece of the bride, was bridesmaid and wore a floor length gown of blue chiffon with matching shoulder length veil which fell from a band of blue frilled net. Her bouquet was of pink and red carnations.
Little Cathy Nicholson, niece of the bride, was flower girl and wore a pale pink taffeta gown on the same style as the bride. Her headdress consisted of tiny satin rosettes and berits. She carried a nosegay of carnations and rosebuds.
Raymond Boutilier was best man and the ushers were Bernard Craine and Ralph Hindel.
The bride’s mother wore a lime wool suit with brown and green accessories. Her corsage of pale green carnations. The groom’s mother wore a pale blue corded taffeta suit with silver and black accessories. Her corsage was of white carnations and pink rosebuds. Mrs. S. LeFort of Timberlea played the organ during the ceremony and Mrs. Nicholson of Lakeside rendered Ave Maria, Mother of Christ and O’Lord I Am Not Worthy.
Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride’s parents for about 60 guests. Rev. Father Meehan proposed the toast. In the evening a reception was held in the parish hall for 200 guests. The room was prettily decorated with pink and white streamers and autumn leaves. The happy couple then left for various parts of the Province by car and for travelling the bride chose a wine colored wool dress with grey top coat and black accessories. Her corsage was of red roses.
Mr. and Mrs. Beaver were the recipients of many beautiful gifts and prior to her marriage the bride was entertained with showers given by Miss J. Montford and Mrs. B. Day.
Hilchey – Hubley
St. Matthias Church was the setting for a pretty June wedding Saturday afternoon when Rev. Edward Morris united in marriage Miss Shirley Gertrude Hubley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Hubley, Halifax and Glyn Charles Kent Hilchey, also of Halifax.
The bride was given in marriage by her father and was charming in a floor length gown of white brocaded satin styled with a sweetheart neckline and long sleeves pointed at the wrists. Her veil was long and fell from a coronet. She carried a bouquet of calla lilies and roses and wore as her only jewellery a single strand of pearls, the gift of the groom.
Miss Margaret MacGray, was bridesmaid and wore a gown of blue lace and net with matching halo and shoulder length veil. She carried a bouquet of pink carnations. Fred Arenburg was best man and the ushers were Ernest Hubley, brother of the bride and Gerald Fultz.
The choir of the church was in attendance during the ceremony.
A reception followed at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Graham, Armdale, for about 50 guests. The bride’s table was attractively decorated with a three tier wedding cake flanked by spring flowers. Rev. Edward Morris proposed the toast to the bride.
For a wedding trip to Truro and Prince Edward Island, the bride wore a grey pencil striped suit with pink hat and black accessories. Her corsage was of pink roses. On their return, Mr. and Mrs. Hilchey will make their home in Armdale.
Among the lovely gifts received by the bride was a chest of silver from the staff of Maritime Telegraph and Telephone Co., where she had been employed for the last three years. The groom was presented with an electric kettle and clock from the staff of the Northern Electric Company where he is employed.
November 9 1949
Beaver — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Bertram Beaver, November 9, 1949, at the Halifax Infirmary, a daughter, Judith Anne. Weight 8 pounds 6 ounces.
Methven – White
Mr. and Mrs. Albert White, Mooseland, N. S. announce the engagement of their daughter Ella A. May to Mr. Joseph E. Methven, Halifax, N. S. Marriage to take place September 12th, 1928.
June 14 1947
Comeau – Ripoli
Mr. and Mrs. M. Ripoli with to announce the marriage of their eldest daughter, Helen Anne to Beverley Clifford Comeau, son of Mr. and the late Mrs. I. T. Comeau, all of Halifax. Wedding took place quietly June 14.
McAndrews – Hartling
At the home of the bride’s parents, 15 Lawrence street, by Rev. J. N. Bartlett, of Charles street Methodist church, Mina Beatrice daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. Hartling, and Alfred Roberts, son of J. A. McAndrews of Beaver Bank.
Kent – Farnell
Upper Musquodoboit, Sept. 10 — St. James United Church was the scene of a pretty wedding recently when Marion Katherine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Austin Farnell of Upper Musquodoboit, became the bride of Everett Haig Kent, son of Mrs. Archibald Kent and the late Archibald Kent of Pleasant Point.
The bride was given in marriage by her father, and looked lovely in a floor-length gown of white satin, with lace bodice and panels. Her long veil was held in place by a headdress of white ostrich feathers, and she carried an arm bouquet of red Johanna Hill roses. Her only ornament was a strand of pearls, a gift of the groom.
Mrs. Gordon Farnell, sister-in-law of the bride, was matron-of-honor and wore a long gown of blue sheer, with matching hat and veil. Her bouquet was of pink Johanna Hill roses.
Heather Canning, carrying a nosegay of flowers, was a charming little flower girl in a floor-length dress of pink organdy with a pink velvet hair band.
Burton Kent, brother of the groom, was best man and the ushers were Gordon and Reginald Farnell, brothers of the bride.
To the strains of Lohengrin’s “Wedding March” played by Mrs. A. A. McLeod, the bridal party took their places beneath a beautiful arch of greenery interlaced with pink and white phlox. The ceremony was performed by Rev. A. A. McLeod, pastor of St. James United Church.
During the signing of the register, Mrs. A. A. McLeod sang “Because.”
A reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents, about 30 guests being present. The table was centered with a two tier wedding cake.
The happy couple left on a short honeymoon trip to Prince Edward Island, the bride travelling in a gold tweed suit with brown accessories. Later they will take up residence at Pleasant Point, where the groom is a prosperous fisherman.
Among the out of town guests were Mrs. Archibald Kent and sons Graham and Ivan of Pleasant Point, Mrs. Howard Fellows and Miss Doris Morash of Halifax, Mrs. Warren Lawlor of Rockingham, Miss Pearl Murray of Tatamagouche, Mr. and Mrs. M. H. Naugle of West Lawrencetown, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Osborne of Cow Bay, Peter Myers of Jeddore and Mrs. Ernest Canning and children Heather, Howard and Betsy of Halifax.
McElhiney – Hilchey
The marriage of Geraldine Elizabeth, only daughter of Mrs. McElhiney and the late Capt. Gerald Chrisholm McElhiney, M.C., Truro, and John Dennis Hilchey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arlington A. Hilchey, West Gore, Hants County, was quietly solemnized on June 11 at the home of the bride. The young couple will reside in Truro, where the groom is employed as a soil analyst with the Department of Agriculture and Marketing.
October 26 1946
Kent – Morash
The marriage took place on Saturday, October 26, 1946, of Doris Mary, daughter of Mrs. Mary and the late William C. Morash of Halifax, to Burton Alfred, son of Mrs. Phebe and the late Archibald M. Kent of Pleasant Point, Halifax County.
Hilchey – Gibson
Rev. J. E. Gibson and Mrs. Gibson, Toronto, announce the engagement of their daughter, Charlotte Ruth, to Harry St. Clair Hilchey, son of Mr. and Mrs. S. B. Hilchey, Halifax. The wedding will take place in Toronto following Mr. Hilchey’s ordination to the ministry on Trinity Sunday.
Kent — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Burton Kent ( Doris Morash), Indian Harbor, at the Halifax Infirmary, June 5, a daughter, Carol mary, weight 9 pounds 5 ounces.
1951 Kent — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Burton Kent ( Doris Morash), Peggy’s Cove, at the Halifax Infirmary on December 7, a daughter, Elizabeth Ann. Weight 8 pounds, 7 ounces.
Kent — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Burton Kent ( Doris Morash) at the Halifax Infirmary, on June 28, 1950, a daughter, Susan Marie, weight 10 pounds 14 ounces.
Kent — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Everett Kent ( Marion Farnell) at Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital, Musquodoboit Harbour on October 23rd, 1950, a son, Douglas Arthur; weight 7 pounds 4 ounces. A brother for Joanne.
Glinz – McPhee
A lovely R.C.M.P. wedding took place last evening at 7 o’clock when Constable Gerald Leslie Glinz, son of Mr. and Mrs. A. O. Glinz, Oak River, Manitoba, took as his bride Miss Golda Ethel McPhee, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert McPhee, Dartmouth.
Given in marriage by her father, the bride was lovely in a floor length gown of white moire taffeta, slightly entrained, styled with princess lines in front and bustle effect in back. The bodice featuring a round neckline, with lace inserts, long sleeves which fell in points over the wrists and was buttoned from neckline to waist in back. Her long veil was held in place by a cornet and she carried a bouquet of white roses and white lily of the valley.
Miss Anne Oakley as maid-of-honor wore a gown of pale pink moire taffeta with large picture hat and carried an arm bouquets of mixed flowers. Misses Barbara Harris and Phyllis Vaughan wearing gowns of mauve and green moire respectively with matching headdresses in bonnet effect, attended as bridesmaids, They carried nosegays of sweetpeas.
Constable Harold Scott, R.C.M.P., Glace Bay Detachment, was best man. Ushers were Constables Dick Steinhauer and Matt Mattson, R. C. M. P., Alex Taylor, Dartmouth and Ellis McPhee, brother of the bride.
Donald Ferris was soloist and sang, “Because,” during the signing of the register, Alex Taylor sang, “I’ll Walk Beside You” at the reception which was held following the ceremony at the home of the bride’s parents, 197 Portland Street. Little Anne Swyers was portress. White tapers in silver candelabra and a three tier wedding cake centred the bride’s table.
Mrs. McPhee, who assisted in receiving the guests wore a grey crepe ensemble with fuchsia accessories and a corsage of matching roses.
On their return from a wedding trip to Oak River they will reside at New Waterford where the groom is stationed. For travelling the bride chose a suit of deep cherry shade with three-quarter length coat of grey and a corsage of deep red roses.
More clippings on the next page!