These are photographs taken of the newspaper clippings found in Laurena Alice Kent nee Prest’s scrapbooks. There are many wedding, birth, engagement announcements, obituaries as well as articles of interest ( girls choir, little league baseball, World War 2 etc) involving families of Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore and more. Localities include Halifax, Jeddore, Mooseland, Musquodoboit, Tatamagouche, Stewiacke, Beaver Bay, Tangier etc. Other places mentioned include Oak Bay, Manitoba, Boston, Massachusetts, Hollywood, California and more.
If you are planning a vintage wedding you will find that the marriage descriptions detailed here are invaluable resources of inspiration for your retro wedding decor, wedding dress and honeymoon outfit.
I will be adding more entries when I can so please bookmark this page and check back weekly for updates. Thank you. 🙂
Click on the pictures to see them larger.
September 16 1944
Kent – Pruett
The marriage of Sara Elizabeth, only daughter of D. L. Pruett and the late Mrs. Pruett, Vance, Alabama, to Stanley Harrison Kent, son of Mrs. A. Kent and the late A. Kent, Pleasant Point, Halifax County, was solemnized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. R. G. McGeorge, Mobile, Alabama, Sept. 16.
The double-ring ceremony was performed by Rev. Robert Backer. The bride was given in marriage by her father and wore a powder blue suit with rose accessories and a corsage of white roses. She was attended by Miss Balir Balton. Captain C. Williams, Liverpool, Nova Scotia, was best man.
A dinner party was held at the Battle House Hotel following the ceremony, after which the young couple left on a trip through the state of Alabama.
Webber – Kennedy
A quiet wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. David Kennedy, Upper Stewiacke, at nine o’clock Wednesday morning, October 9, when their youngest daughter, Mabel Ellen, was united in marriage to George F. Webber, son of the late Charles and Mrs. Webber of Ship Harbor Lake. The ceremony was performed by Rev. A. T. MacDonald in the presence of immediate relatives. The bride who was given in marriage by her father, wore a gown of rose beige flat silk crepe. The travelling suit was of marron glace with accessories to match.
Following the ceremony the happy couple left by auto on a trip through the province. They will reside in Halifax where the groom is an employee of the Nova Scotia Light and Power Company. The bride was tendered ” showers” by friends in Halifax and Upper Stewiacke, and was the recipient of many gifts.
May 18 1940
Campbell – Miller
The marriage of Miss Cora Jean Miller, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Adam L. Miller to Jack Edward Campbell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel H. Campbell, all of Halifax, took place Friday evening at 7.30 o’clock in St. George’s Church, Rev. Charles deW. White officiating. Miss Susie Gabriel, organist of the church played the wedding music.
The bride was given in marriage by her brother, Roy Miller, and she wore a street length dress of rose sheer with navy blue accessories and a corsage of Johanna Hill roses. She was attended by Miss Edna Campbell, sister of the groom, who wore a pale blue dress with white accessories and a corsage of roses.
Reginald Knight was the best man.
At the conclusion of the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the groom’s parents, 37 London Street. The bride was tendered several showers previous to her marriage, and she was the recipient of many lovely wedding presents.
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have left on a trip in the Province, and on their return, they will reside in Halifax, the groom being employed at Moir’s Limited.
September 3 1919
Myers – Harpell
A very quiet but pretty wedding took place at the Baptist parsonage, Brunswick street at 6;30 on the evening of the third of September, when the Rev. E. E. Daley, pastor of the Tabernacle Baptist church, united in marriage May Cora Harpell and Sandy Myers, both of West Jeddore. The bride wore a navy blue travelling suit with purple velvet hat. The ceremony was performed in the presence of a few of the intimate friends of the young couple. They left on a wedding tour thru the New England States, visiting on the way the bride’s sister, Mrs. Wm. Graham. They will reside in Dartmouth on their return.
October 20 1950
Osborne — Linda and Heather, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Osborne, announce the arrival of their brother Donald Frederick, at the Grace Maternity Hospital, October 20th, 1950. Weight 7 pounds, 10 ounces.
Wed At St. David’s — Major and Mrs. John R. Cameron are shown above, their marriage having been solemnized yesterday afternoon in St. David’s Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Cameron is the former Margaret Haines, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard P. Saunders, Halifax. The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Cameron, also of this city.
Cameron – Haines
St. David’s Church was the setting yesterday for the wedding of Margaret Hines, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. P. Saunders, and Major John R. Cameron, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Cameron. all of Halifax. Rev. Frank Lawson performed the ceremony. Mr. Douglas Ritcey was soloist, singing “All Joy Be Thine.”
The bride, given in marriage by her father, wore a pale blue two piece silk jersey dress, a black straw hat trimmed with pale blue flowers and a corsage of pale mauve orchids.
A reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents, College street, where the bride’s mother received, wearing navy with white accessories. The bridegroom’s mother assisted, wearing navy with dark accessories. Both had corsages of red roses.
Following the reception, the couple left on a trip to Prince Edward Island. The bride chose for travelling a pale yellow checked linen suit, with matching straw hat, and brown accessories.
Cameron 1948 — Born to Major and Mrs. John R. Cameron, ( Peggy Saunders) at Grace Maternity Hospital on March 1st, a son, John Ralph.
Cameron 1950 — Born to Major and Mrs. John R. Cameron at the Ottawa Civic Hospital on May 26th, 1950, a son, Bernard Alexander.
June 23 1926
Davis – Hanna
The United Church, Middle Musquodoboit, was the scene of a very pretty wedding Wednesday afternoon, June 23rd, when Miss Norma Hanna, daughter of Mr. Samuel Hanna, of Nanaimo B.C. became the bride of J. W. Davis M. D. C. M. of Berwick, N. S., youngest son of the late Rev. Hiram Davis.
Friends of the bride had made the church beautiful with potted plants, cut flowers and an arch of white lilies and lilies of the valley under which the bridal party stood.
The bride who was given in marriage by her uncle, Mr. Robert S. McCurdy of Middle Musquodoboit, looked very charming in an ensemble suit of rosewood charmeen with rosewood mat, and carried a bouquet of Ophelia roses, lilies of the valley and maiden hair fern.
The bride and groom were unattended. The ceremony was performed by Rev. W. K. Read of the United Church, Middle Musquodoboit. Mrs. I. J. McFetridge, sister of the bride, played the wedding march.
Dr. and Mrs. Davis will reside in Berwick where Dr. Davis has a large medical practice.
Myers – Barnstead
West End Baptist Church was the scene of a quiet Easter wedding at four o’clock, April the first. The Rev. Gordon Vincent united in wedlock Private Fulton Myers and Edna Estella Barnstead, both of Halifax. Both bride and groom are well known in Halifax and have many friends throughout the city.
After the service the couple left for Truro on their bridal trip.
Myers – Barnstead
The marriage took place quietly at the Parsonage of the West End Baptist Church Sunday afternoon of Miss Edna Barnstead, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Barnstead, Halifax, and Fulton Myers, son of Mr. and Mrs. Neilly Myers, East Jeddore.
The bride wore a rose crepe dress with brown accessories.
Slavin – Mosher
Halifax, July 24 — A very pretty wedding took place in St. Patrick’s church on Tuesday morning, Rev. Father Delaney officiating, S. Sergt. H. W. Slavin, of the Engineers, Halifax, and Miss Bessie Mosher, of Moser’s River, Halifax, being the principals. The bride was attired in a white satin dress with georgette over-dress embroidered with pearls, wore the bridal veil with orange blossoms and carried a shower bouquet of roses, sweet peas and carnations. Miss Bessie Monahan, of Dartmouth, was bridesmaid, and was gowned in white silk, wore a white picture hat and carried a bouquet of roses. Staff Sergt. Berry of the Engineers, attended as best man. The groom’s gift to the bride was a white Prayer book, to the bridesmaid an amethyst pendant and to the best man a silver safety razor. The bride’s travelling costume was a sand-colored silk suit with hat to match of silk georgette crepe. The happy couple received many presents, including silver, cut glass and linen. They left by the D. A. R. for a trip thru the Annapolis Valley. On their return Mr. and Mrs. Slavin will make their home in Halifax.
Cameron – Cameron
A quiet wedding of interest to many friends in Halifax and throughout Nova Scotia, was solemnized at St. John’s United Church Manse, Moncton, N.B., Saturday May 14, when Christine Helen, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Cameron, of Thorburn, was united in marriage with Dr. Richard F. Cameron, Dartmouth, son of Mrs. Edith Cameron and the late R. F. Cameron of West Gore, Hants County. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Frank E. Archibald, minister of St. John’s Church, who is a close friends of the bride.
The bride was charming in her floor-length gown of ice blue brocaded taffeta, over which was worn a fitted bolero jacket with military collar and long sleeves pointed over the wrists. Her veil was finger-tip and fell from a coronet of blue taffeta. A strand of pearls was her only jewellery. Her bouquet was a nosegay of roses and lilies of the valley.
The couple were attended by the groom’s sister and brother-in-law, Dr. and Mrs. Harold B. Mellish of Petitcodiac, N.B.
For travelling the bride wore a smart gabardine suit with navy accessories, and grey squirrel furs, the gift of the groom. Her corsage was of roses.
The happy couple left on a three weeks motor trip to the United States. On their return they will reside at 115 Crichton Avenue, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
Cameron — Born to Dr. and Mrs. Richard Cameron at the Halifax Infirmary on December 23, 1951, a daughter, Cheryl Christine. Weight 7 pounds, 6 ounces. A sister for Gary Richard.
Cameron — Dr. and Mrs. Richard F. Cameron are happy to announce the arrival of their son, Gary Richard, at the Halifax Infirmary on March 30th, 1950. Weight 8 pounds.
Is married — Mrs. Walter Watt, formerly Elvie M. Milne, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Milne, Middle Musquodoboit, whose marriage took place June 29 in Central United Church, Calgary, is shown in the above photograph.
Watt — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Watt ( nee Evie milne, Middle Musquodoboit, N.S.) at Royal Alexandra Hospital, Edmonton, July 25th, a son, Robert Walter. Weight 7 pounds, 14 ounces.
MORE CLIPPINGS TO BE ADDED NEXT WEEK SO PLEASE BOOKMARK THIS PAGE
AND BE SURE TO VISIT AGAIN.
THANK YOU! 🙂