These are photographs taken of the newspaper clippings found in Laurena Alice Kent nee Prest’s scrapbooks. There are many wedding, birth, engagement announcements as well as articles of interest ( girls choir, little league baseball, World War 2 etc) involving families of Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore and more. Localities include Halifax, Jeddore, Mooseland, Musquodoboit, Tatamagouche, Stewiacke, Beaver Bay, Tangier etc. Other places mentioned include Oak Bay, Manitoba, Boston, Massachusetts, Hollywood, California and more.
If you are planning a vintage wedding you will find that the marriage descriptions detailed here are invaluable resources of inspiration for your retro wedding decor, wedding dress and honeymoon outfit.
I will be adding more entries when I can so please bookmark this page and check back weekly for updates. Thank you. 🙂
Click on the pictures to see them larger.
October 18 1930
Colbert – Kent
A quiet wedding took place at the Presbyterian Manse, Seymour street, Halifax, on Saturday, October 18th, the Rev. Dr. Colin M. Kerr, officiating, when Florence M. Kent, daughter of Mrs. Florence M. Kent and the late Harrison Kent, of West Jeddore, became the wife of Harry J. Colbert, of Musquodoboit Harbor. The bride wore a dress of navy blue silk flat crepe with sand trimmings and carried a bouquet of roses, carnations and maiden hair fern. The couple were unattended and immediately after the ceremony, left by auto for Musquodoboit Harbor, where they will reside.
May 4 1940
Kent – Williams
Musquodoboit Harbor. May 8 — A quiet but interesting wedding was held on Saturday afternoon in St Thomas church here when Cora Cathleen, daughter of Stanley Williams and the late Mrs. Williams of Ostrea Lake was united in marriage to Richard Samuel Kent, son of Mrs. Harrison Kent and the late Mr. Kent of West Jeddore.
The bride looked very charming in a navy blue suit with white accessories. Her bouquet being of pink roses. The bride was attended by her cousin. Miss Ruth Williams, who wore a grey suit with accessories to match. Charles Slade acted as best man.
Rev. A. E. Kingsbury performed the ceremony, and only immediate relatives were present. After the ceremony the happy couple left on a few days’ motor trip after which Mr. Kent will resume his duties in the navy at Halifax. They will make their home at Ostrea Lake.
August 3 1940
Maskell – Bonn
Jeddore, Aug. 7 — The marriage of Miss Opal Laura Edith Bonn, daughter of Mrs. Alex W. Bonn and the late Alex W. Bonn of West Jeddore to Woodrow Foch Maskell, of the R. C. N., son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Spurgeon Maskell, of West Jeddore, took place Saturday evening, Aug. 3 at the home of the bride’s mother. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Mr. Drew of Musquodoboit Harbor.
The bridal couple who were unattended stood on a carpet of flowers, under an arch of pink and white flowers and green foliage. The bride made a charming picture in a gown of Queen blue, with short veil caught with orange blossoms and carrying a bouquet of pink and white roses and fern. She was given in marriage by her brother.
Immediately after the ceremony a reception was given to more than 100 guests.
The young couple are popular, the bride being guest of honor at several showers during the past weeks. The couple after a honeymoon will take their home at Dartmouth.
October 7 1920
McGuire – Hilchey
A very quiet wedding took place in Windsor Junction church on Thursday, October 7th, when Rev. Father Sweet officiated at the marriage of Stella Beatrice, daughter of J. C. Hilchey, of Pope’s Harbor, and William Patrick McGuire, son of Mrs. McGuire and the late C. B. McGuire, of Windsor Junction. The bride was dressed in a travelling suit of brown and carried a bouquet of white carnations and sweet peas. She was attended by her sister Nellie, who wore a taupe dress, with hat to match, and carried a bouquet of pink carnations. The groom was supported by his brother, Charles McGuire, of Truro. After the ceremony the happy couple left for a trip thru the Maritime Provinces and on their return will reside at Windsor Junction.
December 18 1933
Kent – Baker
A quiet but pretty wedding took place at Musquodoboit Harbor recently, Rev. Mr. Scoates officiating, when Gladys Esther Baker and John Archibald Kent, both of West Jeddore, were united in marriage. The bride was becomingly attired in pale blue crepe Rosemere with accessories to match. They were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Colbert. After the ceremony they motored to the home of the groom’s mother, where a pleasant evening was spent. Mr. and Mrs. Kent will reside in West Jeddore.
November 23 1929
Maskell – Baker
A very pretty wedding took place last Saturday evening November 23 at 7.30 o’clock in the West Jeddore Baptist church, the principals in the ceremony being two highly esteemed young people Neta Hazel, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Norman Baker of West Jeddore, Halifax Co., and John P. Maskell, of the same place. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Mr. Beck, of Musquodoboit Harbor. The church had been beautifully decorated by friends of the bride and groom, the bridal party standing under an arch of green and white.
Miss Baker, who is a very pretty girl entered the church with her father, and looked most charming in a gown of white georgette and silk radium lace with silver trimming, wearing the conventional veil and orange blossoms and carrying a shower bouquet of pink and white carnations and ferns. Bride and groom were unattended.
The wedding marches were played by Miss Margaret Sharpe of Halifax, cousin of the groom. Miss Murie Maskell of Halifax, another cousin of the groom singing very sweetly ” O Promise Me,” during the signing of the register. This marriage will be memorable as the first taken place in the church.
The ceremony was followed by a reception at the home of the groom’s sister, Mrs. George Bowser were felicitations were extended by more than one hundred guests. The many beautiful gifts received of silver, linen and cut glass testified to the esteem in which the bride and groom are held. Mr. and Mrs. Maskell will make their home in West Jeddore.
February 23 1910
Kent – Prest
The home of Mr. and Mrs. George Wolfe, Dartmouth, was the scene of a pretty wedding on the evening of Wednesday, Fb. 23, when their niece, Miss Laurena Alice Prest, daughter of the late Martin B. Prest, Arlington, Halifax County, was united in marriage to Mr. Samuel Kent, Pleasant Point, Halifax Co.
The ceremony was performed by Ven. Archdeacon Armitage, rector of St. Paul’s church, Halifax.
The parlor was prettily decorated with potted plants.
The bride lookt lovely as she entered the room, wearing a dress of Alice blue cloth with satin trimmings and silk braid and carrying a large boquet of white carnations and maiden hair fern.
The wedding march was played by Miss Clara Nicholson.
After the ceremony all sat down to a daintily servd tea.
The groom presented the bride with an organ.
Both bride and groom are highly esteemd by their many acquaintances and they were the recipients of some very beautiful and valuable presents.
Mr. and Mrs. Kent, will reside in Halifax.
Bowser – Maskell
Rev. Dr. Hamilton Wigle, pastor of the J. Wesley Smith Memorial Church, officiated at the wedding at 8 o’clock Monday night at the residence of Captain S. Kent, 11 Moran street, uncle of the bride, of Lavenia Blanche, daughter of Mrs. and the late Spurgeon Maskell, of West Jeddore and George W. Bowser, of Musquodoboit Harbor. The bride, who was given in marriage by her uncle looked very pretty in a gown of blue satin, with silver trimmings, and hat to match and carrying a bouquet of pink and white roses and maiden hair fern.
Mr. and Mrs. Bowser, who have the best wishes of all who know them, will make their home in West Jeddore. A large collection of wedding gifts afforded tangible proof of regard.
Baker – Kent
Rev. Dr. Hamilton Wigle, pastor of the J. Wesley Smith Memorial Church, officiated at the marriage at his residence, 550 Robie street, on Saturday, the 12th, at 3 p.m., of Blanche Corinne, daughter of Mrs. and the late Harrison Kent, of West Jeddore and Captain Frank Baker of the same place. The bride wore a gown of monette blue ???? crepe with sand trimmings and sand hat and carried a bouquet of carnation, daffodils and maiden hair fern. Bride and groom were unattended. Captain and Mrs. Baker will reside in West Jeddore.
December 12 1938
Baker – Kent
The marriage of Iva, daughter of Mrs. Florence Kent, and the late Harrison Kent, of West Jeddore, and Douglas Baker, of West Jeddore, was solemnized in the Baptist church parsonage, Robie street, Halifax on Friday, December 12, the ceremony being performed by Rev. A. J. Vincent. The bride wore a gown of monet blue flat crepe, sand trimmings, with hat and other accessories to correspond. The happy couple were unattended and immediately after left by auto for the former’s home at West Jeddore, where a warm welcome awaited them. The bride was a school teacher in her home school for the past two years.
June Wedding — Mr. and Mrs. W. P. McGuire of Windsor Junction, Halifax County, have announced the forthcoming marriage of their only daughter, Nellie Marie, to Eric MacDonald Curry of Bedford. The wedding will take place June 1.
The marriage of Miss Vera Wambolt, above, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wambolt of Halifax, to Ralph Burton Kent of Halifax, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Kent of Musquodoboit, will take place shortly in the city.
August 26 1939
Kent – Wambolt
The marriage took place quietly this morning at 8 o’clock at St. George’s church, the Rev. C. deWolfe White officiating, of Vera Dorothy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Wambolt, and Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Kent of Musquodoboit. The wedding music was played by Miss S. Gabriel, organist of the church.
The bride who was given in marriage by her father, wore a navy blue sheer frock with wine accessories and carried a colonial bouquet of mixed flowers.
The groom was attended by Gordon Marriner.
Immediately after the ceremony, Mr. and Mrs. Kent left on a short wedding trip, and upon their return they will reside on Lawrence street.
Kennedy – Richards
All Saint’s Cathedral was the scene of a pretty wedding yesterday afternoon when Dean Llwyd united in marriage Miss Elsie Richards, formerly of LaHave, and W. McKay Kennedy, of Merritton, Ont., and a member of the staff of Hendry’s Ltd. The bride was given in marriage by her brother, A. C. Richards. She wore a suit of navy blue with picture hat of black and white ermine neck piece, and carried a white prayer book. Immediately after the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy left for Bridgewater, en route to LaHave, where the honeymoon will be spent.
A large number of gifts marks the popularity of the young people who have a host of friends in the city. The bride was a member of the staff at Wood brothers. Yesterday afternoon Mr. Kennedy was presented with a set of carvers by the members of the office staff of Hendry’s Ltd. After their honeymoon, Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy, will reside in Halifax.
McGunnigle – Fisher
A pretty wedding took place on August 15 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Fisher, Newton Mills, when their only daughter, Helen Cornelia, became the bride of Angus Forbes, youngest son of Mr. W. J. McGunnigle and the late Mrs. McGunnigle of Upper Musquodoboit. The Rev. W. A. Ross officiated in the presence of immediate relatives and friends.
The bride entered the room with her father, by whom she was given in marriage, to the strains of Lohengrin’s wedding march played by Miss Hazel tays. The bride took her place under an arch artistically decorated with white bells and cut flowers.
The bride wore a street length dress of navy sheer with white accessories and carried a bouquet of Crimson Rambler Roses, Baby’s breath and Maiden Hair Fern.
Following the ceremony light refreshments were served by the Misses Grace McGunnigle, Dorothy Kennedy and Mazel Tays.
Mr. and Mrs. McGunnigle left by motor for a short honeymoon trip. The bride’s travelling costume was a jacket dress of navy and pink with navy accessories. On their return they will reside in Upper Musquodoboit.
The popularity of the young couple was shown by the large collection of gifts. The bride before her marriage was a successful school teacher in Halifax and Colchester Counties.
Johnson – Kennedy
Stediacke, July 25 — A quiet, but pretty wedding, was solemnized at 8 o’clock Tuesday evening, July 22, at the home of the bride, Stewiacke, by the Rev. L. B. Campbell, pastor of the St. Andrew’s United Church, when Lillian May, elder daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Kennedy, became the bride of Aldon Johnson, of Valley, Colchester County. the bride looked charming in a gown of white flat crepe with accessories to match and carried a bouquet of carnations and sweet peas. The home was beautifully decorated with flowers, and the marriage took place under an arch decorated with with summer flowers. The wedding marches were rendered by Miss Alice Nelson of Stewiacke.
After the ceremony, a lunch was served, after which the bride and groom left on a motor trip through Cape Breton. On their return they will reside at Valley.
Cameron – Glawson
Trinity Church was the scene of a quiet wedding at 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon, the principals being Ralph Cleveland Cameron, formerly of Mooseland, now of Halifax, and Miss Hannah Isabel Glawson, of Spry Harbour. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. L. J. Donaldson. The bride was attired in blue figured chiffon, and wore a hat to correspond. She carried a white Prayer book, and was unattended. A number of relatives and friends of the happy couple from outside the city were present, including Mr. and Mrs. E. Eldon Cameron, parents of the bridegroom. Mrs. Cameron wore blue chiffon with hat to match. The newly wedded couple left by motor car for a wedding trip through the province. On their return they will reside in the city.
Kent — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Ralph B. Kent ( Vera Wambolt) at the Grace Maternity Hospital, June 16th, a daughter Judith Anne, weight 7 pounds, 13 ounces.