These are photographs taken of the newspaper clippings found in Laurena Alice Kent nee Prest’s scrapbooks. There are many wedding, birth, engagement announcements as well as articles of interest ( girls choir, little league baseball, World War 2 etc) involving families of Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore and more. Localities include Halifax, Jeddore, Mooseland, Musquodoboit, Tatamagouche, Stewiacke, Beaver Bay, Tangier etc. Other places mentioned include Oak Bay, Manitoba, Boston, Massachusetts, Hollywood, California and more.
If you are planning a vintage wedding you will find that the marriage descriptions detailed here are invaluable resources of inspiration for your retro wedding decor, wedding dress and honeymoon outfit.
I will be adding more entries when I can so please bookmark this page and check back weekly for updates. Thank you. 🙂
Click on the pictures to see them larger.
To Do Mission Work In Africa
Jeddore, Sept. 15 — Miss Goldie L. Blakeney was honored recently, when about 25 friends gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Kent, West Jeddore, to tender her a farewell party. An enjoyable evening was spent and lunch served by the joint hostesses, Mrs. John Kent and Mrs. Edmund Doyle, assisted in serving by John Kent and Ross Blakeney.
Later, Rev. Blois Crawford presented Miss Blakeney with a purse of money and fittingly expressed the good wishes of her many friends for every success in her chosen work.
Miss Blakeney received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Biblical Education, majoring in missions on May 31, at the Toccoa Falls Institute, Georgia, U. S. A., where she also attended high school. She is also a graduate of Toronto Bible College. She has left for Toronto where she will take a five weeks course at the Sudan Interior Mission Headquarters before receiving her appointment to the mission field in Africa. She will return to Truro for final preparation at the People’s Church before leaving for the foreign mission field.
She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ross H. Blakeney, Lower West Jeddore and hopes to spend a brief visit with her parents before sailing for Africa.
Prest – Golden
The marriage took place in Roslindale, Mass., on October 7th at 7 p.m., of Violet E. Prest, of Halifax, and John L. Golden, of Shelburne, N.S. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Mr. Carey, of the Episcopal Church, Roslindale.
The bride was attired in a dark brown suit trimmed with fur, with velvet hat to match. She is a graduate of Waterbury Hospital Training School, Waterbury, Conn.; was three years on the nursing staff of the Victorian Order, Halifax, and since June 1923, has been with the Community Health Association, Boston.
The groom is purchasing agent for the Bay State Fisheries, Boston. After the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. Golden left for a motor trip through New Hampshire, and on their return will rside in Boston.
Both bride and groom have many friends in Halifax, who will wish them a long and happy wedded life.
Fader – Pride
One of the prettiest weddings of the season was solemnized in the Baptist temple, Gottingen street, last evening, when Nina, daughter of Captain and Mrs. Pride, Halifax, and Dr. Frederick R. Fader, of Moncton, formerly of this city, were united in marriage by the Rev. A. L. Huddleston.
Miss Pride, who was given in marriage by her father, looked very lovely in a white satin dress with the conventional veil, and cap of orange blossoms, from which the streamer of the blossoms were caught at each side. She also carried an arm shower of Ophelia roses and carnations.
Miss Sadie Pride, sister of the bride, was bridesmaid, and looked charming in a frock of rose organdie trimmed with real orchids and carried a shower of white and orchid sweet peas.
Miss Sadie Hopkins presided at the organ, playing the wedding marches. The choir, of which the bride was a member, was also present. Allen Pride, brother of the bride, supported the groom.
Following the ceremony, Dr. and Mrs. Fader left on the evening train on a wedding trip, which will include visits to many points of interest in the Maritime Provinces.
The bride’s travelling suit was of castor duvetyn, with moleskin trimmings and a panne velvet picture hat, trimmed with ostrich feathers. Dr. and Mrs. Fader will take up their residence in Moncton.
Kent – Farnell 1946 — Mr. and Mrs. Austin Farnell, Upper Musquodoboit, announce the engagement of their daughter, Marion Katherine, to Everett Haig Kent, son of Mrs. Phebe Kent, and the late Archibald Kent, Pleasant Point, Nova Scotia. Wedding to take place the latter part of August.
Prest – Glawson 1947 — Mr. and Mrs. Wallace E. Glawson wish to announce the engagement of their second daughter, Gladys Irene, to Murray Stoddard, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Boyd Prest of Mooseland. The wedding will take place on Saturday, April 5th in St. Thomas Church at 7 pm.
Wynacht 1949 — Born to Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Wynacht ( Edith Kent) at the Halifax Infirmary, on Aug. 27, a son, Peter Gregory, weight 8 pounds, 4 ounces.
Engagement is Announced
Mr. and Mrs. M. Ripoli have announced the engagement of their eldest daughter, Helen Ann, above, to Beverley C. Comeau, son of I. F. Comeau and the late Mrs. Comeau, all of Halifax. The wedding will take place in the near future.
Cole – Fraser
A very pretty wedding was solemnized at the United Church, Malpeque, Prince Edward Island, on Tuesday afternoon, when Rubena Florence Fraser, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick R. Fraser, of Halifax, became the bride of Stanley George Cole, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey E. Cole, of Elderbank, N. S.
Friends of the bride had made the church beautiful with Autumn flowers and potted plants.
To the strains of the Lohengrin wedding march, played by the organist, Mrs. S. B. Campbell, the bride entered, gowned in beige canton crepe with contrasting accessories of brown, carrying an arm bouquet of pink roses. The bride and groom were unattended. The ceremony was performed by Rev. M. A. MacMillan, brother-in-law of the bride.
After touring the Maritime Provinces Mr. and Mrs. Cole will reside in Plainville, Massachusetts.
September 22 1930
Reynolds – Redden
A quiet but very pretty was solemnized at three o’clock, Monday afternoon, September 22nd, at the Manse, Upper Musquodoboit, when Annie Estella, the attractive young daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Redden, of Lindsay Lake, was united in marriage to Thomas Orestese Reynolds, only son of Mrs. Hattie Sanford, of Mooseland, Rev. W. McDonald officiating.
The bride looked most charming attired in a gown of blue flat crepe, with accessories to match.
Following the ceremony, the happy young couple left on a motor tour through the Annapolis Valley.
Many and sincere will be the felicitations, as the bride and groom enjoy the regard of a wide circle of friends, proof of whose esteem is shown in the large collection of wedding gifts received — gifts both beautiful and useful.
Lasky – Jackson
At 6 o’clock last evening there was solemnized in distant Kennecott, Alaska, a marriage in which special interest is felt here, the bride having been Leona, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Jackson, 101 Charles street, and the groom S. G. Lasky, of Kennecott. Miss Jackson, who is a registered nurse by profession, has been for the past two years on the nursing staff of the hospital of the Kennecott Copper Mining Company. She is well remembered here having been at one time on the staff of the Massachusetts, Halifax Health Commission, as nurse, and also that of the Victorian Order of Nurses, and she has many friends in Halifax whose felicitations will be sincere and warm. Mr. Lasky is the geologist for the Copper Company which employed his bride in her capacity as nurse, and thus developed the romance which culminated in yesterday’s ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Lasky will not come east just now, but contemplate a visit in the not remote future, and a very cordial welcome awaits them.
June 7 1930
Merritt – Jackson
The marriage of Eileen Mae, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Jackson, of Arlington, Mass., formerly of Halifax, to Perry Merritt, son of Mrs. Allen and the late Iliver H. P. Merritt, of Tarrytown, New York, took place at 4:15 p.m., June 7 in St. Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church, Irvington, N. Y., the Rev. Lee H. Bell officiating. The bride wore a gown of orchid chiffon, a picture hat of orchid maline and orchid moire slippers. Following the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. Merritt left on an automobile trip. On their return they will reside at the Washington Irving Gardens, Tarrytown, N.Y.
Dean – Rearick
When early in June, Rev. W. J. Dean, pastor of the J. Wesley – Smith Memorial Church, left ” anticipating an absence of about a month,” only very intimate friends knew that his itinerary was not only to include Toronto, that he might attend the first General Council of the United Church of Canada, but that it would also include an American city, where he proposed to appropriate a charming young woman and bring her home to preside in the parsonage. Mr. and Mrs. Dean arrived home on Friday evening, and the former preached to large congregations yesterday. His people hold in store a warm welcome for the new ” lady of the Parsonage.”
Mrs. Dean was Helen, daughter of Walter Rearick, a well known banker of Ashland, Illinois, and the late Mrs. Rearick, her marriage to Mr. Dean having taken place on June 24 at the residence of her father. The wedding at which the Rev. Dr. McPherson, a minister of the Methodist Church officiated, was a very quiet one, and immediately after the ceremony Mr. and Mrs. dean left for the wedding trip, visiting Niagara Falls and Montreal on their way home to Halifax.
May 11 1935
Erskin – Rhind
Elderbank, may 13. — A quiet wedding took place in the Manse on Saturday evening, May 11, when Florence Mae, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Rhind, became the bride of Kenneth Marr Erskin, of Upper Musquodoboit, Rev. G. A. Grant performing the ceremony. The bride was becomingly attired in a brown suit. Only the immediate relatives of the couple were present. After the best wishes were extended the happy couple left for Upper Musquodoboit where they will make their home.
Osborne 1945 — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Fred Osborne ( Iris Kent) July 2nd at the Grace Maternity Hospital, a daughter, Linda Jeanne, weight 7 pounds, 6 ounces.
Osborne 1948 — Born to Mr. and Mrs. Fred Osborne at the Grace Maternity Hospital, February 21st, a daughter, Heather Marie. Weight 7 pounds, 5 1/2 ounces. Sister for Linda.
October 15 1942
Wed On Thursday
Mr. and Mrs. William Ross Clarke, who were married Thursday afternoon in the chapel of King’s College. The bride is the former Pearl May Kent, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Kent, Pleasant Point. The groom is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. William A. Clark of Verdun, Que.
October 15 1942
Clark – Kent
A pretty wedding was solemnized in H. M. C. S. Kings Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock when Pearl Mae Kent, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Kent, Pleasant Point, became the bride of William Ross Clark, R.C.N.V.R., only son of Mr. and Mrs. William A. Clark of Verdun, Quebec. The double ring ceremony was performed by Naval Chaplain, Rev. Charles deW. White.
The bride entered the chapel on the arm of her brother, Ralph Kent, by whom she was given in marriage, to the strains of the wedding march played by Miss Mildred Hunter.
She wore a floor length gown of white georgette crepe with fitted waistline and full skirt. She wore a fingertip veil of fine net caught with a halo of flowers. Her bouquet was of yellow and red roses. The groom was attired in the dress uniform of the navy.
Immediately following the ceremony the bride and groom left on a short trip to the bride’s home. For travelling Mrs. Clarke wore a gray bunny wool dress trimmed with coral, and her accessories were of blue. The bride was honored at a series of delightful showers during the last week. Many friends join in wishing the young couple much happiness.
Osborne – Kent
A pretty wedding took place in the United Church at Pleasant Point, Halifax County, recently when Rev. Carl Drew united in marriage Iris Alfreda, daughter of Mrs. Archibald Kent and the late Mr. Kent and Frederick T, Osborne, son of Henry Osborne and the late Mrs. Osborne, Cow Bay.
The bride entered the church on the arm of her brother, Stanly. She wore a floor length gown of white embroidered sheer with a shoulder length veil held in place by a wreath of gardenias and she carried a shower bouquet of American Beauty roses and bouvardia.
She was attended by Miss Arleen Jacklyn, Shelburne, who wore a long gown of blue silk with a small hat to match and a bouquet of pink carnations and ferns.
The bride’s brother, Burton, was best man. Ivan, Graham, and Chief Petty officer Everett Kent, R.C.N.V.R., all brothers of the bride, were ushers, and Miss Marion Farnell, Upper Musquodoboit, was organist.
A reception was held following the ceremony at the home of the bride’s mother for about 100 guests. The bride’s table was prettily decorated with sweetpeas and white tapers and was centred with a three tier wedding cake. Rev. Carl Drew proposed a toast for the bride.
The bride has been a successful school teacher for the past five years. Mr. and Mrs. Osborne have left on a wedding trip through the province and Prince Edward Island. On their return they will reside at Cow Bay.